The Free Reformed Church was organized in 1921 with 29 members in Passaic, NJ.
The congregation consisted of mostly Dutch families who had immigrated to the United States from Holland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. As the congregation grew during the first several years, a parcel of land at Prospect Street in Passaic was purchased in 1924 and a church structure erected and dedicated in 1925. This edifice remained its home until, as a result of the congregation’s growth, a larger structure was built and dedicated for services at 186 Third Street, Clifton, NJ in October 1951.
This location and structure served the congregation well for almost 50 years during the last half of the 20th century. Having been instituted and remained independent since its founding, it was in 1965 that the congregation joined itself to the newly formed Free Reformed Churches of North America. In addition, during the latter part of the 20th century, with many of our young families having settled further West in NJ, the congregation began to make plans to relocate. By the year 2000, a parcel of land had been purchased in Pompton Plains, NJ and an educational building wing constructed and dedicated with the words “Christ Jesus, a Sure Foundation.” In 2003, the present sanctuary was erected and dedicated with the words, “Christ Jesus, the Chief Cornerstone.”
This Structure continues to serve us today as we worship and serve the Lord to His glory, the salvation of sinners and the building up of His Church. From our small beginning through today, the Lord continues to provide for us in this our place. The choice of the banner from our founding, “Rehoboth” meaning the Lord has made room for us continues to be our hope and our prayer through all the years until He returns again.
Currently our congregation is being served by Rev. J. Lewis.